CENTRE AREA TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY
February 22, 2016
STATE COLLEGE BOROUGH BUILDING
Borough Council Chambers, 243 S. Allen Street
State College, PA 16801
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: John Spychalski, Chairman
Joe Davidson, Vice-Chairman
Richard Kipp, Treasurer
EXCUSED ABSENCE: Tammy Gentzel
STAFF PRESENT: Louwana Oliva, General Manager
Eric Bernier, Director of Information Services
Ryan Harshbarger, Director of Operations
Kimberly Fragola, Director of Finance
Liz Pierce, Director of Human Resources
Marsha Kyper, Executive Assistant/Board Liaison
OTHERS PRESENT: Greg Kausch, CCRPA Senior Transportation Planner;
13 members of the public in attendance
9 signed in / see attached sign-in sheet
Jeanne Alexander, State College
Veniz Aydemir-Doke, State College, PSU
Jolley Harris, Bellefonte
Matlo Jakova, Patton Township
Michael Jenson, State College, PSU
Michelle McMannas, State College
Tim Mullen, State College
Josie Smith, State College
Patricia Stephens, State College
Eddy Zalinski, III, Bellefonte
I. CALL TO ORDER
Chairman Spychalski called the public hearing to order at 5:00 p.m.; Eric Bernier commented on other outreach activities that staff conducts throughout the year, and went over the guidelines for how the hearing would be conducted and public comment received.
II. PUBLIC COMMENT
The following public comments were received:
1. Jolley Harris, Bellefonte: complimented CATA on service and suggested extending XB and XG Route service to Zion area.
2. Patricia Stephens, State College: inquired about the possibility of introducing a smart trip card to pay the fare.
3. Michelle McMannas: suggested additional assistance for visually impaired including drivers relaying messages to the next bus, more stop announcements, programming the app to be accessible; the addition of real-time signage at the College and Allen Street bus stop that includes voice announcements; and inquired about the lack of CATARIDE public hearings.
4. Eddy Zalinski, III, Bellefonte: provided a written proposal of suggestions (attached): including the addition of live feed to a monitor in cutaway buses so that passengers can see their location; the addition of a stop at Lykens Market on Zion Road; changes to the XB/XG routes.
5. Tim Mullen, Bellefonte: complimented the CATA bus operators; suggested using small buses on routes with lower ridership; adding service on the XB/XG Routes including to Milesburg; extending F to Ag Progress Days; the addition of cameras to the outside of buses so operators know when they have missed passengers; provide board contact information at board meetings.
6. Jose Smith, State College: complimented the CATARIDE program and staff for performance during conversion to Ecolane management software; asked when the next public involvement meeting would be held.
7. Veniz Aydemir-Doke, State College, PSU: visually impaired passenger reported that because he cannot cross Waupelani Drive, he can no longer use the RC Route since it was changed and no longer stops on Southgate; it is difficult to hear stop announcements and/or bus operators when they provide stop announcements verbally; suggested that there is an app that could be added to the MyStop app which would help visually impaired riders.
8. Matlo Jakova, Patton Township: reported capacity issues on V/VE on weekday mornings; asked why the inbound VE was eliminated from the Oakwood stop.
Chairman Spychalski adjourned the meeting at 6:25 p.m.
Louwana S. Oliva, Secretary Date